Saturday, April 25, 2009

Leverpostej vs Peanut butter

Every now and then while living in a different country something happens where you really stick out as an American. I call them "Danish Moments". (Thanks to my friend Andria). My latest adventure happened at my 3 year old's daycare. Most days I send her to school with a peanut butter and honey sandwich. Well, I had a parent teacher conference the other day. It was just the usual 6 months evaluation you have with the teacher. I learned that my DD gets along great with other kids, has a good since of humor. So basically, she is a great fun little girl.

Then the conversation turned to how the school system is trying to encourage better eating habits. Well, I always try to send her with 2 to 3 kids of fruits and vegetables everyday. But for some reason peanut butter is considered not healthy. I have another American friend and she always sends her 3 year old with peanut butter. So then I went to the store right after and went to the deli section. I then had my little princess look at all the meats and see what she likes. She then picked out leverpostej which is pronounced leh-wer-po-st-eye. This is a dish where they take liver, herbs, salt, pepper, and onions. Yes, I did say LIVER. It is a very common dish in Denmark. In fact, it is a favorite with most of them. You can look it up on wikipedia.

I find it quite gross, and I definitely would choose peanut butter any day of the week. If it was for allergy reasons, I wouldn't feel bad about taking PB off the menu. But it's just a cultural thing.

Now she is going around saying, "I don't like peanut butter mommy." (In her best Danish accent). I hate having my kids develop likes or dislikes to food based on what people say to her.

I will still send her to school with peanut butter, but now I will only do it 2 days a week instead of 5. Maybe, I'll send it on rye bread just to change things up...

No comments:

Post a Comment