Sunday, May 17, 2009

Garbage Disposal Anyone?

Inventions from the new world.
So sometimes while living in a different country you just wonder why certain things you’ve taken for granted in your home country haven’t caught on. For example in Denmark: They do not have garbage disposals. It doesn’t matter how nice your house is, it just does not have a garbage disposal. Even the Danes who have visited the US haven’t thought about the benefits of this mechanical marvel of modern men. So what in the world do you do with the eggshells from that cake you just baked? Or my personal favorite, the plate of half chewed food your toddler spit back on the plate because they decided half way through that it didn’t taste the same as it looked? Well, you get to scrape it into your kitchen garbage, and toss it in your pathetically small outdoor can. Yes, they have pathetically small trash cans. I’m not sure if this is to encourage people to recycle more or if my landlord is just a cheapskate and ordered the ¼ trash service, but it stinks. Now as a side note: Denmark does do a great job in having you sort through your trash, and recycling. For example. You should sort your trash as so, Bottles, newspapers, cardboard, pizza boxes. But if you live in a home, you have to take these items to what I call the local dump, because there is no curbside pickup for them. The dump here is really more of a recycling distribution area. Everything you dump you can dump for free. You can even bring in old computer parts, yard waste, wood or metal pieces. I am sure they even have a place you can take big pieces of concrete too. It is a great place to unload a lot of junk. But it is easier to get to if you have a car. This could be another side note living in Denmark, but I won’t get into that just yet. Meanwhile there is no garbage disposal. After some time I ran into an article about why garbage disposals don’t exist in Europe. (I am sorry but I cannot find the article I read). Anyways, it said that a lot of countries do not like garbage disposals because it is bad for the waterways. It contaminates the water. Well the house that I live in we have little rocks that come out of our sink that goes down the drain. And it is considered normal to have lots of red water in the winter time. Something to do with the chalk in the pipes and the cold weather. This is supposed to be normal, but begs the question, if the water quality is so bad without garbage disposals, why not just let us have the disposals? So meanwhile we have no garbage disposal, a smaller trash can to throw trash into, and red water. I miss the garbage disposal. I want to have one someday again in my life.

2 comments:

  1. What about compost?
    We don't have a garbage disposal, but because we do compost and recycling, our trash ends up being less than half a trash bag a week. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That might be an idea, but I don't have anywhere to store it.

    ReplyDelete